Blessed Be the Name of the Lord - 3/1/08

Hello everyone! Today I'd like to share with you a beautiful story of faith and trust, and it is the story of Job. As a little background information, Job is a man who was "blameless and upright" in the eyes of the Lord. However, Satan speaks to God and accuses Job of simply being a surface follower. Satan says (summarized) "Job is only upright because You have blessed him! If you take all he has away, he will surely curse Your name!" But God, knowing the faithfulness of His servant and seeking to silence Satan's accusations, allows Job to be tested by Satan. We see Job's first test below.

Now there was a day when his sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house; and a messenger came to Job and said, "The oxen were plowing and the donkeys feeding beside them, when the Sabeans raided them and took them away-indeed they have killed the servants with the edge of the sword; and I alone have escaped to tell you!"

While he was still speaking, another also came and said, "The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants, and consumed them; and I alone have escaped to tell you!"

While he was still speaking, another also came and said, "The Chaldeans formed three bands, raided the camels and took them away, yes, and killed the servants with the edge of the sword; and I alone have escaped to tell you!"

While he was still speaking, another also came and said, "Your sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house, and suddenly a great wind came from across the wilderness and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell on the young people, and they are dead; and I alone have escaped to tell you!" Then Job arose, tore his robe, and shaved his head; and he fell to the ground...


Can you imagine? In an instant, for no apparent reason whatsoever, all Job has is taken away: his herds are taken from him, his possessions are seized and pillaged, his servants are murdered by the raiding parties, and his very own sons and daughters are killed. All that was once his is now gone. So what does Job do? Read on and you will see.

Then Job arose, tore his robe, and shaved his head; and he fell to the ground...

...and worshiped.
And he said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked shall I return there. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; Blessed be the name of the LORD." In all this Job did not sin nor charge God with wrong.
(Job 1:13-22 NKJV)

Again I ask, can you imagine? Everything Job has is taken from him; yet not once does he denounce his God. Whenever I read this passage, these words constantly reverberate in my mind: "The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; Blessed be the name of the LORD." Such faith - such trust. We see later on in the book of Job that he is tested again (and this time his friends accuse him of unrighteousness and corruption as well), yet still he refuses to denounce God. Rather, in faith, Job cries out to the Lord, knowing that he is upright and blameless, having been sanctified by God.

For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. My heart faints within me! (Job 19:25-27 ESV)

I hope that you will all join with me in prayer for this kind of faith.

Lord, I pray that you would grow us all into people with faith and trust like this, that when all we have is taken from us, when all we hold dear is snatched out of our hands, we will look to You and trust in Your goodness, Your sovereignty, and Your love to lead us. Let us trust you and have faith that You are with us at all times, and that no matter what happens, we will still have You right alongside us, knowing that you died to save our souls and will never leave our sides. In Jesus' name, amen.

Blessings,
Andrew