Faith - 3/18/08

Hello everyone,

The passage I'd like to share with you today is very well known - it is the account of Jesus calming the storm.

Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"

He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
. Matthew 8:23-26

Another account of this incident, found in Mark chapter 4, has a bit more elaboration on the words of Jesus:

He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"Mark 4:40

What intrigues me about this verse is how Jesus asks the question: "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" You would think that after having spent time with Jesus Christ and witnessing some of his miracles (for this was still early in His ministry), His disciples would by this point have faith in both Christ, and the Father who sent Him - surely enough faith to trust Him through this simple storm. Walking with God Almighty - whether aware of it or not - has this effect on people.

This is what I would like to focus on, the aspect of faith that Jesus gives us a glimpse into here. Faith is more than simply a blind trusting (though this is what we must do sometimes, trust in the Lord when we ourselves are blind to what the outcome may be). Imagine a relationship with a close friend or family member of yours. If it's a true friend or loved one, you know that if you're ever in need, you can run to this person for whatever you may need. You can trust them to be there for you, because over the course of time, your trust and faith in each other has grown.

Let's say, for example, that I'm out on my own and my identity is stolen, along with all the money in my bank account. After this, I need some money to live on, so I think of who I can call for help. So I call up my family back home, and they say of course they'll send some money right away. As Hebrews 11:1 states, because I trust them, "I am sure of what I hope for" - my hope being that that they will pull through for me - and "certain of what I do not see" - that they have promised to help me through my hard times. I cannot physically see this promise, but I am sure and confident that it will be fulfilled. While this may be an example of misplaced faith - faith in man to pull me through rather than faith in God to sustain me - I hope you understand the principle I'm trying to get across.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Our relationship with God is the same way. As we walk with Him, we learn to trust Him, even when we cannot see Him moving with our own eyes, as with any relationship with a trustworthy person (and who is more trustworthy than God Himself?). So do you want more faith? Walk with God. Get to know Him, and listen to His Word and His voice - the more you do, the easier it will be to endure the storms of life when they come our way. The easier it will be to have faith; to have trust; and this simply comes with time.

So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

Blessings
Andrew