Broken to Beautiful Roses - 3/16/08

Hello Everyone,

I would like to do something a little different here, and share with you a poem I wrote several months back.

In June of 2007, I joined a group from my Church excited about going to Mexico. Our mission was to build two small, one room houses for two families there. After I arrived home I was given the words for the following poem you are about to read.

Broken Roses

I walk down the dusty streets
And what do mine eyes see
But a once bright rose lying there
Exposed as all could be.

I pick up in wonder
At how such a thing came to be
There in such a desolate place
It seemed so strange to me.

Then comes along a stranger,
"Hello there," He greets.
"May I ask what it is with your rose?
It looks as though it were beat."

"Yes indeed it is badly broken,
But I just found it here," I say.
"I was wonderin' how it had come to be
Lying here this way."

Staring at it for a moment
He then begins to say,
"It's here to signify a life;
Like yours, if you may.

You've always thought you had it all
Until some time ago,
Your life turned all upside down
Ending up like this here rose.

Look all around you and see
These people have nothing and yet,
They are happy and thankful;
Some things you have yet to get.

To you their lives seem broken,
But they have seen the Light,
They do not rely on themselves--
Rather on Mine, their Father's Love and Might.

So by finding this forsaken rose,
I have given you a choice:
Either to feel as a broken rose can feel,
Or you can heed the words of my voice.

There are many who become a broken rose,
Feeling helpless and alone,
Their eyes are wet with tears,
And their hearts heavy as stone.

If only they knew of the Love and Hope
That only the Father can give,
No longer a broken rose are they
For now on, they can live."

So saying He looked me in the eye,
Then turned and went on His way.
He was right, I was a broken rose,
It bein' revealed to me that day.

I fell down onto my knees
There in the midst of that barren street,
With tears in my eyes
I prayed to Got to restore my faith so weak.

Too long I took my life for granted
Thinking my life was better than theirs.
By they had joy, hope and peace,
Trusting in God to answer their prayers.

My people had not, including myself,
And I finally saw it that day--
From then on I was resolved to be
A happy, wholesome, and thankful Rose in every God-given way.

*******


While this is only inspired, the people did look to be a "broken rose" of sorts. In reality, they had more than I could ever hope for. We think we are better off in the way we live, but our lives are actually void of not physical things, but spiritual and emotional ones. These people were content, not worrying as we who take everything for granted do. These people trusted in the Lord, while we who consider ourselves "good little Christians", hardly ever do. So they are not the broken roses; instead, all the rest of us are. We are lost in our blindness, in our wants, desires, sins, in everything but the Lord. We do not trust, nor have we faith; we are never satisfied, yet they are content with the simplest things. The family we had built a house for were so ecstatic over this simply made structure, it was hard for any of us to believe. But it did cause joy to fill our hearts...

Later I meditated on our reason for going. We left to build two houses, and to minister to the people there, but instead came home the ones having been ministered to....

So that is how I came to be inspired to write this poem. Below are some verses I wish to share relating to my themes discussed above.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life. And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:25-34

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

Do you feel like a "broken rose"? Go to God now, He will heal and restore you.*

"From then on I was resolved to be
A happy, wholesome, and thankful Rose in every God-given way."


Let's go from Broken Roses to Beautiful Roses!

Whitney