Your Story - 2/9/08

"Draw near, Aravis my daughter. See! My paws are velveted. You will not be torn this time."
"This time Sir?" said Aravis.
"It was I who wounded you," said Aslan. "I am the only lion you met in all your journeyings. Do you know why I tore you?"
"No Sir."
"The scratches on your back, tear for tear, throb for throb, blood for blood, were equal for the stripes laid on the back of your stepmother's slave because of the drugged sleep you cast upon her. You needed to know what it felt like."
"Yes Sir, please–"
"Ask on my dear," said Aslan.
"Will any more harm come to her by what I did?"
"Child," said the Lion. "I am telling you your story, not hers. No one is told any story but their own."


Exerpt from The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis


One of my favorite books are The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. In The Horse and His boy, one of the characters, Aravis, asked Aslan (who represents Christ), a poignant question. In response he replied, "Child, I am telling you your story, not hers. No one is told any story but their own."

In the Bible, Christ also says this to Peter when Peter wanted to know how John would die.

Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, "Lord, who is going to betray you?") When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." Because of this, the rumor spread among the brothers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?" (John 21:20-23)

So as Christ explains, it is not for you to know what someone else's story is. We have our own mission in life that He has given us, so we need to fully realize and understand that, focusing on what He wants us to do. Don't dwell on what someone else should be doing; rather meditate on what you are meant to be doing.

Focusing On My Story,
Whitney