Pray In The Spirit - 2/8/08

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests (Ephesians 6:18a, NIV)

Short but sweet! I would just encourage us all to take this verse to heart, and literally "pray in the Spirit on all occasions, with all kinds of prayers and requests." Of course, in some circumstances, we may not be able to drop to our knees and pray on the spot - but who says we can't still pray? God is all-knowing and all-seeing, and He hears our every thought. If we aren't in a position where we can drop to our knees and begin praying at a certain time in the day, that's fine - but we can still remain in prayer to Him, be it while walking down the road, while giving a presentation, or while finishing up some work. (Though, let me note that this kind of prayer is no substitute for silent, focused prayer! Rather, it is a means for us to "remain in the vine" at all times.) This is what it means to "pray in the Spirit on all occasions" - to be constantly in prayer to God, no matter where we are, trusting Him to hear these prayers of ours.

...With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.(Ephesians 6:18b-20, NIV)

In light of this, let us all pray for one another as well. Let's pray, just as Paul is doing, that whenever we open our mouths, we will be representing Christ in our hearts and attitudes, and that when we are witnessing to others, that the Lord would give us the grace to do it fearlessly, confidently -- and, of course, lovingly.

Blessings,
Andrew