Gentleness; 2/21/08

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23 ESV)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23 KJV)

The reason I quote this verse twice here (once in the NIV, once in the KJV) is because I feel that they both show a different side of this particular fruit: meekness (humility), and gentleness. This is sort of a humble gentleness I suppose one could say. Have you ever had a friend go astray? Perhaps they were beginning to get involved in things they should not, perhaps they were falling away from the Lord, or perhaps you were just concerned for their well-being. Isn't it so very hard to reach these people? On one hand, you value their friendship and fear the worst; but on the other, you know that if you kept silent, you would not be a true, loving friend. So what's the key here? Gentleness and meekness. Our Lord Jesus Christ paints a perfect picture of this:

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30 ESV)

Isn't this amazing? What can I really say to this? I sit here, trying to come up with something to say, and it just speaks for itself so clearly. When we come to Jesus, He puts his arm around us, helps us up, and carries us along as only a true friend would. He gently tells us when we are in the wrong and holds His arms open to receive us once again. One example of this is when Peter denies Jesus thrice on the night He was taken.

Peter answered him, "Though they all fall away because of you, I will never fall away." Jesus said to him, "Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times..."

And Peter remembered the saying of Jesus, "Before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times." And he went out and wept bitterly.
(Matthew 26:33-34; 75 ESV)

I can just see the gentleness in Jesus' eyes after that third rooster crows and they look one another in the eyes; spoken with a single look, everything is laid out. Perhaps there was disappointment, or maybe there was even some pain; I do not know. But I do know that when Peter looks into Jesus' eyes, he sees gentleness, forgiveness, and welcomeness. This is my story as well. I came to Jesus having disappointed Him, having caused Him pain, undeserving of anything more than to be punished for my evil ways; but rather than condemnation, I looked into His eyes and I saw gentleness. I saw love. He told me, "Yes Andrew, you've sinned. You've disappointed me, you've caused me pain. But it doesn't have to be this way - come, take my hand, and let us start over again - please." And from that moment on, my life has been changed.

So when we see those we care for turning onto the path of darkness, how are we to treat them? With love, care, and gentleness, warning them of the impending doom that lies ahead, genuinely concerned for their future. But we must always remember to pray for this gentleness at all times. When we must correct those we care for, do they see this gentle, humble spirit within us? And when they return, do they feel welcome as we hold our arms open to take them in? Let us pray together that yes, they do; for this gentleness comes from God alone.

A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit. (Proverbs 15:4 ESV)

Blessings,
Andrew