Our Daily Bread: "The Jesus Man" 5-15-08

Hello everyone!

Just recently, I took a trip to the Ashland Shakespeare Festival, and it was a very enjoyable experience all around. But there was one thing in particular that stood out to me, which in fact had nothing to do with Shakespeare whatsoever. It was a single man, dubbed the "Jesus Man" by our party, standing in the outdoor festival center with a sign proclaiming, "Jesus is Lord, He is the Son of God, Put your trust in Him, Believe and have faith." He said nothing (perhaps to avoid arrest under the pretense of disturbing the peace); he simply held his sign for all to see, despite peoples' judgmental glances and condemning remarks.

This took courage. To endure the remarks which he must have known were directed at him, to press on despite the judgmental glances, was no small feat. Even people in my own group criticized this man for what he was doing. "He could be doing more for his beliefs than holding a stupid sign," they said. As I looked back on it, I myself wondered if there wasn't something a little more proactive that the Jesus Man could have been doing to share the Gospel; but then I realized that if God had planted it in this man's heart to do what he did, there is no telling whose hearts may have been forever changed by this one single incident.

I myself have been effected by the Jesus Man's boldness. Listening and seeing the peoples' responses to his act of proclaiming the Gospel, I have been challenged in my own faith to the kind of fearlessness we are called to. This man did not seek the approval of men; he sought the approval of God, and in so doing, who knows how many people he has silently affected? He has had a deep impact upon me, and I hope he will have the same impact upon you all as well.

Nevertheless many even of the rulers believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they were not confessing Him, for fear that they would be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the approval of men rather than the approval of God. (John 12:42-43 NASB)

Is fear holding you back from proclaiming the Gospel? Do you seek the approval of men rather than the approval of God? Even if we speak the Truth in love, the simple fact that we are speaking the Truth of Christ will offend some, and they will look down upon us; they will speak ill of us; they will condemn us. But let me tell you this: we cannot let the fear of men keep us from proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the hurting, seeking, and lost people who need to hear it most. If we keep quiet for fear of not being accepted, none will hear or believe; but if we boldly speak the truth in love, some will believe and repent, to the glory of God.

"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? For what can a man give in return for his life? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." (Mark 8:35-38 ESV)

Some will believe and repent; some will remain in sin and look down upon us. Some will respond to the Truth; some will criticize us for our boldness. Such is the nature of the world; we must learn to love them all regardless. But just as the Jesus Man did, we cannot let the fear of men hinder us from sharing the truth of God. Accept the fact that people will persecute us for speaking the truth, for doing what we know is right, and press on regardless, sharing the Gospel of reconciliation in Christ to those who are crying out to hear it.

For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not man's gospel. For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. (Galatians 1:10-12 ESV)

Blessings,
Andrew