"Where Will You Cast Your Cares?" 11-21-08

143 Trouble and distress have come upon me,
but your commands are my delight.
144 Your statutes are forever right;
give me understanding that I may live.
Psalms 119:143-144

Sometimes when I have had a particular trying day, I feel like everything is against me. It is in these moments that a voice calls out to me. It is in these moments that I am reminded of the one whom I can go to and lay out all my fears and cares.

At the foot of the Cross.

God has created us in His image, and knows who we are. He knows all of our fears, our joys, and our very hearts. He knows are thoughts, what pressures we will soon be dealing with, and what troubles we have faced. He knows are past, present, and future. He knows all of these things not only because He made each one of us, but because He once walked in our shoes.

God sent His Son to our world to be a Man. But He didn't just miraculously appear among the people, He came into this world just like all of us do: He was born as a baby. A helpless babe, wrapped in swaddling clothes, and loved by His mother and father. He even had siblings. He walked the life we all walk, except He came as a sinless Man.

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." Luke 2:10-12

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. John 3:16-18

Jesus can therefore empathize with everything that is going on in our lives. Need someone to talk to who will understand you? Try talking to God. He endured the harshest situations one can imagine. He was beaten and killed upon a cross. He was ridiculed by the people, and hated by the Pharisees. He was tempted by Satan, and sold out by His friends. All of these and so much more He went through. Think you have it bad? Think again.

But Jesus is the only one who deeply and truly understands you. Just because He may have endured worse than you, He would never say, "Oh come on! I had it worse off; at least you didn't die on a cross! So buck up you sissy!" Oh no. He will say instead, "Come, my child. Come into my arms, and cast your cares upon me. I am here for you, and I shower you with my love for you."

Still doubting? Go ahead and have that conversation with Him, and you will see. A burden will lift from your shoulders, and you will feel free like you never felt before.*

For further reading, read Luke chapters 2-24.

Come to Me, all who are weary
And I will give you rest
Come to Me, all who are weary
And I will give you rest

Lay your head down on My shoulders
Be still my child, rest a while

I'll quiet you with My love
Rejoice over you with My song
I'll quiet you with My love
Rejoice over you with My song

Come to Me, all who are weary
And take My yoke upon you
Come to Me, all who are weary
My burden is easy and light

Lay your head down on My shoulders
Be still my child, rest a while


Quiet You With My Love by Rebecca St. James

Let's cast all our cares upon Jesus, because He will give us rest!
Whitney