"The Meek" 3-26-08

Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. (Matthew 5:5)

Reading over this verse, I again began to ask God, "Why is it the meek who will inherit the earth? Aren't we as Christians supposed to be fearless and mighty children of the King?" I've always understood "meek" to be a word closely related to weakness. With verses such as 2 Timothy 1:7: For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline, and Luke 24:49: I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high, indicating that we are supposed to be fearless and mighty children of God, I began to wonder, where does meekness fit into this? As usual, God provided me with an answer by leading me to His Word.

People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them.
When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." (Mark 10:13-15)

So as I reflected and prayed to God about this, He revealed to me that
of course we as Christians have a spirit of power, but this isn't our spirit of power - this is the Spirit of God dwelling within us. OUR spirit is one of meekness and humility, the spirit of a child. When we draw near to Christ as one of these little children, completely humble and full of meekness, then we open the door for His Spirit to come in and live within us. This is the spirit of power, love, and self-discipline that we hear so much about; this is the power from on high that we have been promised by the Father. And for we who have this meekness in our own hearts, we as little children of God will inherit the earth. So let me ask you: are you meek? Are you humble before the Lord? If so, rejoice, for you are truly blessed! If not, I would encourage you to humble your heart before Him, and open the door for His Spirit to come into your life.

But the meek will inherit the land and enjoy great peace.
(Psalm 37:11)

Blessings,

Andrew