"Who Will You Be?"

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.

I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Romans 7:15-24

Have you ever looked in the mirror and saw somebody you didn't know?

Coming across the above passage made me think about days I've had like that. Where yesterday I was somebody I didn't know. Where yesterday I did things that were not like me…

We do many things we are ashamed of. But why do we do them? It might feel thrilling when considering doing something wrong, and it often feels good while you do it. But afterwards you might feel tainted and dirty. You might feel terrible and ask yourself, why did I just do that? Even though you probably knew that it was wrong, you still did it. And over and over we keep doing them….

I know that none of us are perfect, and that no matter how "good" we try to be, we will still fall. (But don't use that as an excuse for when you do sin!) There shouldn't be any excuse for us to do the same thing over and over when we know it's wrong.

Let's branch off for a second, and look at things that are considered "wrong". Most of us know about the Ten Commandments, so we know those are important to keep. We know that there are certain things in the Bible that God detests. For example,

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21

Of course there are other things that are considered wrong. Humans have moral compasses, and while we don't always heed by them, we usually can tell when something we are about to do or say is wrong. If we don't feel right about it either before, during, or after at any time, then it was probably the wrong thing for us to do or say.

But don't despair, for there is always hope.

Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:7-8

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit. Romans 8:1-4

But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. Psalm 5:11

Turn, O LORD, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love. Psalm 6:4

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1

Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! Romans 7:25

God loves us. No matter how many times we fall.

"How am I supposed to show love to somebody over and over and over who constantly rejects me?" ~Caleb Holt, Fireproof

It's amazing that God doesn't ask this question of us. For when we fall, we are in a way rejecting God, even if we don't mean to be. When we fall, it could mean we aren't as tuned into God as we should be. It could mean our passion to follow him is not as strong as we'd like it to be. Now, don't get me wrong; I know that reality says otherwise. Temptations are everywhere after all... But, in the end, just remember, it is YOU who makes the final decision.

"God wants true brokenness, not just a formulized ritual of confession when we're caught in sin." Jerry White, The Joseph Road. If we truly want to live a Godly life, we have to want it; we have to mean it. It must be real, otherwise you will always see someone else staring back at you from the mirror…

Just like Caleb Holt from the movie Fireproof. In the attempt to get his marriage back on track, he used a 40 day dare called The Love Dare. But for the first half of the dare, it seemed he and his wife's future wasn't going to get any better. But the reason for that was simple. Caleb first had to have his heart in the right place. He was simply going through the motions at first, relying solely on the dare to fix his marriage. There was no substance behind his actions. No passion. But once he realized that, he became changed. And in the end we see his changed nature rubs off on his wife, and the relationship is saved.

We're not going to change overnight. Caleb and his wife sure took a lot longer than one night. So don't pray to God and then expect things to be fine and dandy from then on out. It's a tough journey when we choose to follow God. How can we live holy for him when we are constantly tempted by so many worldly things around us? It's a difficult question to be sure. All we can do is simply try our best. God loves us no matter what don't forget. We just have to remember that it won't always be wonderful. But in those moments when we fall, look to find what is beautiful. God will guide you back to your feet if you let him.

Alright, let's recap now. We know about things that are wrong. We know that we do things we don't want to do, and we don't do enough of the things we want to do. We know that God has given us hope no matter what we do—he can set us free. We know that he loves us no matter what as well. And if we want to truly love him in return for all that he has done for us, then we have to make it real. I can't tell you why we do the things we do (or don't do). But in the end, when we stand before God, what will matter is if you can say to him, "Yes Lord, I've screwed up plenty over my lifetime, but ultimately I gave it my absolute best to try to stay on track. I learned from my mistakes and grew much because of them. I love you and thank you for choosing to love and stick by me no matter how many times I didn't love you in return. While I am ashamed of many things I have done, I am proud of the realness inside of me."

But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. "A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough." I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion will pay the penalty, whoever he may be. Brothers, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law. Galatians 5:5-18

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. Galatians 5:22-25

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. James 1:22-25

Who will you be when you look in the mirror?*

Striving,

Whitney